Who are the top teneople in your life? These are the poeple whose company you enjoy, you think of them often, you love them. Reflect, today on the people who in your life “would give you the shirt off their back.” The people we take for granted.
Are there another 10 people in your life you choose to cherish? They could be a babysitter, a neighbor, a therapist or life coach. Do they know they are important to you?
Humans are known for taking people and things for granted. I’ve had two dear friends die from ovarian cancer in the last two years. Sherry cherished me. She told me through words and actions. Sherry was a first grade teacher. We hung out as couples mostly. Each time we invited them to dinner, Sherry would say, “I thought about this all day. I’m so happy to be here. Thanks for having us.” She had a way of making others feel special. I felt cherished. Christine was a friend since first grade. We stayed in touch through out the years. We celebrated each others birthdays together.
Irreplaceable people. Everyone has somebody in their lives that would benefit by being cherished. The following are things you can do to cherish life and the people in your life.
1. Spend time with your friends and family. A couple of months ago my grandchildren had planned on coming to Arizona for a weeks visit. My daughter and her husband both work and couldn’t find anybody to take them to the airport. I decided I would fly to Detroit, rent a car and fly back with them. I cherish my grandchildren. I would do anything for them.
My mom and dad are in their late eighties. I visit them weather I feel like it or not every time I go back to Michigan. They live an hour in the opposite direction from where we normally stay. It doesn’t matter. Their time on earth is nearly finished. I cherish time spent with them.
2. Tell the people in your life how you feel about them. If it doesn’t come natural to you, all the more reason to do it often. It will begin to feel natural soon. Of course, “I love you” is what everyone wants to hear. Other phrases are, “I’m happy to see you. I care about you. You mean so much to me. I think of you often.” Everyone has three things in common: They need to receive love, give love and know that they matter. Tell people they matter!
3. Become grateful. If you have friends and family you are blessed. Share your gratitude with them. Surprise them with a card in the mail. In the world of texting, cell phones and email receiving a card is a rare treat.
4. Don’t withdraw your love. When you are hurt the temptation is to withdraw. You blame the other person for your pain. It’s your withdrawing that causes the pain. Practive forgiveness.
One quick way to do this is to write out 3 things about this person that makes you mad. Then write out when the last 3 times you behaved in the same manner. What you judge someone for today…you’ll find yourself doing tomorrow.
5. Don’t hide yourself from others. Let your light shine. Be yourself. Learn to feel good about yourself and respect who you are. Genuine people are attractive people. The world needs the unique you not a scaled down version of you.
6. Send blessings and love to the important people in your life. Each night before I fall asleep I think of my children, grandchildren and siblings and parents. I send them love, positive thoughts and blessings. I do this with my spouse daily. I’ve learned to associate with things I do so it’s a constant reminder. For example, I become grateful for his presence in my life when I fold his clothes or do the dishes.
7. Surround yourself with memories. I have framed photographs and artwork of the people I love all over my house. To me these represent the cherished memories I have, moments in time that cause me to feel loved. For me they hold more value than fine art.
8. Cherish yourself. Tell yourself how important you are and stop all self-abuse, habits, addictions, self hatred etc. Do nice things for yourself. Treat yourself to concerts, vacations; a message…the list is endless.
The world would be a happier place if we all practiced cherishing. It would be a more loving place as well. Don’t forget to begin with your top 10 and expand from there.
“Today a new sun rises for me; everything lives, everything is animated, everything seems to speak to me of my passion, everything invites me to cherish it” -Ninon de Lenclos 1620-1705