Photo Michael Gardner
Everyone struggles with a bad mood now and then. It's a part of life, especially when too many irritations or inconveniences happen all at once.
You may over react when a coworker fails to call in, your gas tank is on empty, the babysitter cancels, or a store clerk is rude.
It's your responsibility to turn things around and enjoy your day.
Read on for tips to help you put more spring in your step and happy in your mood.
The number one tip experts give for changing your mood is to exercise. Choose something you enjoy doing, yoga, walking, rollerblading, or a dance video workout,
A short and fast workout can relieve stress and release feel-good endorphins. Think of your athletic shoes as happy shoes!
2. Choose healthy food. Small healthy snacks throughout the day keep your body satisfied. Eat less white rice, pasta, bread, sugar and potatoes. Incorporate grains, vegetables, nuts and seeds in your diet.
3. Speak your truth. You'll feel authentic, heard, and confident. Withholding what you think can cause feelings of helplessness and hopelessness.
4. Do nothing. The less you do, the better you’ll feel. Take one thing off your plate each day. Instead of multi-tasking practice being present. Do one task at a time, mindfully.
5. Make memories. Spend your money on experiences. Sign up for a painting class, go to the museum, or a concert. Experiences create wonderful memories.
6. Get out in nature. Go to the big room with the blue ceiling and green floor. Take a walk in the woods or watch a sunrise. Sitting outside for five minutes a day is enough to feel good and change your mood. Five minutes!
6. Touch. Physical affection is powerful. Give and receive a kiss, a hug, a pat on the back, a touch on an arm or go for a massage. Touch is transformational. Warm fuzzies feel good.
7. Stop procrastinating. The anxiety you feel about a chore is worse than the actual chore itself. Get rid of dread and do what’s on your to do list: wash your car, make a phone call, cancel a date.
8. Be kind. Look for a way to compliment someone. Anticipate and meet the needs of the people around you. When you bring happiness to others you also bring it to yourself. The smallest act of caring can cause a mini-bliss explosion.
9. Look for good. Look for what’s good in your life. Look for reasons to be thankful. Focus on the positive. You can't be unhappy and positive at the same time.
10. Recharge. Go to bed and get up at the same time everyday. Creating a routine and getting seven hours of sleep will allow you to wake up on the bright side.
11. Stop. Look. Remember. The photos you framed or plastered on the refrigerator are meant to be looked at. Savor your good memories. Read the motivational quotes you taped to your mirror.
12. Make a happy face. Smiling makes you happy even when you’re feeling sad. Smile at yourself in the mirror. Smile at the people you love and even the ones you don’t. We underestimate the transforming power of a smile.
13. Listen to music. There's not much a great song won’t cure. Runners listen to their iPods while running marathons because it’s less painful.
14. Wear stuff that fits. Shoes and clothes that are too tight create pain. Don’t sacrifice your health to look hip.
15. Love. Dwell on love. Feel love. Send love to people in trouble or in pain. Send loving thoughts to your family and friends. Speak lovingly and take loving action.
What puts you in a good mood? Please share below.