I want my virtual friends to know, I've been absent on your blogs, Twitter, and Facebook lately, because my mom passed away last week. I've spent several days in November and December in Michigan in order to be with her during her final days. As I spend time grieving, I'll continue to have other wonderful bloggers share their wisdom!
Help me welcome Jane from Teeny Tiny Pieces. I know you'll enjoy her as much as I do.
From time to time we can all use a little extra polish on our sunbeam. Even people who are generally happy can feel lethargic, blue, or out of sync at times.
Implementing tiny pick-me-ups throughout your day can have a big impact on your outlook.
Here are six quick, free, and easy ways to feel happier instantly.
- Butterfly Pats ~ Give yourself butterfly pats! It's a simple way to stimulate your lymphatic system and redirect your thought patterns. Cross your arms so that your hands rest on the opposite bicep. Briskly alternate pats for as long as it feels good. You may actually feel the tension from your torso release, carrying up your body through your head. Did you catch yourself smiling? Nice!
- Chimes and Bells ~ The vibration from ringing bells or chimes fills our space and awakens our senses. The vibration actually enters our body and triggers relaxation and awareness. Consider keeping a tiny chime in your favorite relaxation space … maybe on the doorknob. When you enter or exit the room, you'll get a little dose of spirit-lifting vibrations.
- Nutritious Food ~ For a quick, delicious, and healthy dose of carbs, broil almost any vegetable, doused in olive oil and sprinkled with salt, pepper, and your favorite herbs. Your blood sugar will rise slightly, naturally, rather than spiking and dropping. Your taste buds will be delighted, and the warmth of earthly goodness will nourish your tummy.
- Windmills ~ It turns out that your middle school gym teacher did know a thing or two about being well! Windmills stretch our tight back and hamstrings, and increase our heart and lung activity. Motions that force us to cross the center of our body, like windmills and butterfly pats, can reset our thought patterns and increase brain activity. Step into the sunshine and do a dozen windmills. Maybe it will feel so good that a dozen just isn't enough.
- Create Something ~ You don't need to create a masterpiece in order to generate a little happiness. Sketch a quick picture, rearrange your mantle, add a candle to your workspace, change out the bedspread and pillows on your bed, write for five minutes without thinking or stopping. Activating the right side of your brain will give you a break from problem-solving, and sometimes allows you to see new solutions you hadn't previously considered.
- Music ~ Put on your favorite! Sing, dance, laugh … invite pleasure into your space. If it feels great, do it again tomorrow!
These are six of my favorite pick-me-ups. I hope you'll take just a moment to share your ideas for a quick dose of happiness. We're all in this together!
Jane is a busy mom, writer, artist, student of Healing Touch International, education consultant, and the creator of Teeny Tiny Pieces … along the path to wholeness. The most important pieces along her path to wholeness are her family, good nutrition, meditative and creative time, and long relaxing hikes with her sweet doggie, Annie.
No related posts.