We live in a culture that teaches us to be overly concerned and consumed with ourselves. In order to create a better world it’s necessary to drop our focus on our own happiness and focus on extending happiness to others.
Today I challenge you to extend as much happiness as possible to others.
1. Make a decision to be happy. In order to extend happiness, decide to be happy. At some point today you chose how to feel. Do you remember what moment that was? Begin your day deciding how you want to be. Make a “To Be” list instead of a “To Do” list. Be grateful, be peaceful, and be happy. Then you can extend it to others.
"Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful." -Thich Nhat Hanh
2. Express gratitude to 10 people today. Offer appreciation and gratitude to as many people as you can today. Notice what others do for you. Thank your partner for the effort he puts into your relationship. Thank your children for being beautiful. Tell the janitor in your work place what a great job he does. Offer thanks to a store manager for his staff and his business. Gratitude will shift your perception of the world.
"Blessed are the Happiness Makers. Blessed are they who know how to shine on one's gloom with their cheer." Henry Ward Beecher
3. Go the extra mile. Notice where and to whom you can offer assistance. Do the dishes when you’re finished eating. Offer to help a child with homework or a coworker with a major project. Unload groceries for an elderly person. Call or visit someone who is ill. The opportunities are endless. You only need to become willing and aware.
"Happiness is what happens to us when we try to make someone else happy." unknown
4. Get physical. Your connection with others becomes enhanced when you learn to gently touch an arm while you're speaking or pat a back and say, “good job.” Hugs and kisses are priceless to those you love. The small physical connections you make leave a glow on everyone's day.
5. Forgive everyone. Until you learn to forgive others you remain stuck in the past. Holding grievances keeps you in the past. Forgiving puts you in the present moment. Resentment keeps you miserable. Forgiveness sets you free. Silently repeat: “I bless you, I release you, I set you free. I allow you to be you and me to be me."
6. Love everyone. Open your heart to love. Learn to understand and accept people for who they are, as they are. Let go of expectations and conditions. Drop the habit of fault-finding and begin highlighting the good in everyone. Demonstrate love, express love and be love.
"Being happy doesn't meant that everything is perfect. It means that you you've decided to look beyond imperfections." -T. Bernard
7. Repeat daily. The happiness you offer others has a boomerang effect. You'll notice a lightness in your step and more joy in your day. Happiness within and without has a ripple effect that touches the world.