17 Beautiful Writers Celebrate Love

In the spirit of Valentines Day I share the following writers and their words of wisdom on love. Celebrate today and everyday by telling others, "I love you." I'll go first, "I love you!" xo

For the love of soulmates

People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. Eat, Pray, Love -Elizabeth Gilbert

For much love

It is not how much we do,
but how much love we put in the doing.
It is not how much we give,
but how much love we put in the giving. -Mother Teresa

For understanding love

When it comes to love, we all have different ideas and thoughts about what LOVE IS. That is the beauty of love, it can mean different things to different people all based on their own understanding and experience. But, although we might all have different definitions of LOVE, one thing remains common in all our interpretations and that is “Love is Ever Present”. Positive Provocation, Zeenat Merchant-Syal

For the love of an addict

To those addicts in the family, especially when they are our children, we love you, we always have, and we always will. We may have let each other down at times, and our hearts may have been broken. None of our lives will ever be the same. This may not be the life we expected, but this is the life we have, and we have learned to embrace it.

We cherish our loved ones, and love them unconditionally. We won’t enable those with the disease of addiction, but we will not forget all they have to offer either. No matter what the circumstances, there is always hope. Treatment-Talk, Cathy Taughinbaugh

For the love of marriage

A life worth living is a life worth sharing. Sharing my life with Mary Beth provides so many blessings. My heart will always remain faithful to hers because it is constantly being filled with her love and grace. I have faith it will always be this way – no matter what. The Bridgemaker, Alex Blackwell

For the depth of love

The length of a relationship is not a good measure of its depth or its meaning. Instead, remember the nature of your interaction with the other person, the simple exchange of your mutual understanding, and the lasting impressions you left behind. Let those mark your measures of success when it comes to relationships. Prolific Living, Farnoosh Brock

For the love of home

We Do Real
We Do I’m Sorry
We Do Second Chances
We Do Hugs
We Do Mistakes
We Do Respect
We Do Fun
We Do Really Loud
We Do Love. Author Unknown,
Motivational Memo, Peter Sinclair

For the love of relationships

Human beings thrive in the midst of love, compassion, sincerity and understanding.  We crave the intimacy of close relationships—having someone to confide in and to laugh with.  We want to be listened to, valued and reminded that we’re important to someone.  Good relationships fill that void.  They nurture the spirit, the psyche, the vulnerable inner child who’s always within. Self Improvement Saga, Nea

For the love of babies

Hushaby was written when I was reflecting on my children as babies, and I got tired of singing the traditional lullaby songs. A simple melody that has added cello parts to it, I look forward to someday singing it to my grandchildren. Find Your Harmony, Jen Slayden

For the substance of life

Love is the substance of all life. Everything is connected in love, absolutely everything. Brainy Quote, Julia Cameron

For the love of writing

I write because there are cloud shapes that others cannot see and the touch of a prickly pear that others will not feel and the sound of spring runoff in a mountain creek that others will not hear and the taste of my mother’s mashed potatoes that others will not taste. Unless I write about those things. Winsomebella, Winsomebella

For the love of celebration

Of all the Valentine’s Days I’ve had while on the earth, I’ve had an actual “valentine” on maybe seven of them. That means there’s been over twenty five without a valentine. Yes I know it the first twelve shouldn’t really count, since chocolate and candy hearts were enough in those childhood years, but the point is, I know about being bummed out on Valentine’s Day. Kaizen Vision, Aileen Mahoney

For the love of flowers

I will be the gladdest thing
Under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers
And not pick one. Edna St. Vincent Millay
Agrigirls Blog, Tammy McLeod

For the love of challenges

According to Shakespeare: "Nothing is either good or bad but thinking makes it so.” Life is actually neutral. I believe it is our own perception of life challenges that causes us pain. We give everything in our life its meaning. We make ourselves upset by what we tell ourselves about a particular experience. We only see how the conditions affect the present time, seeing through the filters of our own beliefs. Our perception of things is limited; we cannot see the whole picture. Empowering Change In You, Kay Nuyens

For the love of horses

On June 3rd, 2010, I quit my job; my secure job, where I was doing great, and that I loved to death, that afforded me a nice apartment in a gorgeous neighborhood, meals out, a great retirement plan, a nice insurance package and enough extra cash to travel during the summers. That Which Really Is, The Girl

For the love of fitness

When the actions are tiny, they are easy. You have no excuse. You can do them anywhere, all day long. I fold fitness into my life, like blueberries into batter, and it becomes a part of the recipe, not just a topping. If you haven’t found a way to get fit, try the Thousand Cuts Fitness Program. There is nothing better for those who don’t have the time. Zen Habits, Leo Babauta

For loving-kindness

When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and care for, but it also helps us develop inner happiness and peace. -Dalai Lama

Please share your thoughts on love below.

• tammy February 14, 2012, 6:24 am

Hi Tess and thank you. What a lovely loving message on this special day.

• Tess The Bold Life February 14, 2012, 12:39 pm

Tammi,
    I’m happy to support and honor you. You’ve been a reader from the start..from one farm girl to another!

• Bryan Thompson February 14, 2012, 2:42 pm

Thanks for sharing these great quotes, Tess! This is especially my favorite from Zeenat:

‘But, although we might all have different definitions of LOVE, one thing remains common in all our interpretations and that is “Love is Ever Present”.’

I hope you’re having a great Valentine’s Day!

• Tess The Bold Life February 14, 2012, 3:47 pm

Bryan,

Yes I like that one. My favorite is Farnoosh’s because I have a had a lot of short relationships with friends. Sometimes I feel bad and now I’ll look at the depth and the impact we’ve had on each other. That’s profound!

• Elle February 14, 2012, 3:05 pm

Great compilation Tess. Kay Nuyens quote resonated strongly with me, so now I have to take a look at the rest! Thank you.

• Tess The Bold Life February 14, 2012, 3:49 pm

Elle,
    Thanks, Kay and I raised our kids together. She’s the best!

• Cathy Taughinbaugh | Treatment Talk February 14, 2012, 3:58 pm

What a wonderful list of quotes, Tess, and I’m honored to be included. Since I have met you I have loved your blog, your fun loving spirit, your sense of humor and the enthusiasm that you have for life. Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day!!

• Kaylee February 14, 2012, 4:29 pm

Thanks for a great bunch of quotes.. I love them all, but I think my favorite is the first – “A true soulmate is a mirror…” .. True love is about building each other up, helping one another grow – and sometimes, this means (lovingly) pointing out the obstacles. Happy Valentine’s Day! 🙂

• Tess The Bold Life February 15, 2012, 1:35 pm

Kaylee,
      Yes any other type of soulmate is a myth!

• Vidya Sury February 14, 2012, 8:46 pm

Beautiful words. Love does make the world go around – all the way from here to there! I wish you a wonderful Valentine’s Day, Tess.

I tried choosing a favorite just for fun…but I couldn’t. Each of these writers’ insights is valuable.

Thank you for sharing.

😀 Your raving fan, Vidya

• Tess The Bold Life February 15, 2012, 1:36 pm

Vidya,
      Happy Valentines Day to you as well. Spread the love!

• Fran Sorin February 15, 2012, 2:39 am

Tess..

All of the thoughts resonated with me but the one that was the most provocative and that I strongly believe in is:
    For the love of challenges

According to Shakespeare: “Nothing is either good or bad but thinking makes it so.” Life is actually neutral. I believe it is our own perception of life challenges that causes us pain. We give everything in our life its meaning. We make ourselves upset by what we tell ourselves about a particular experience.We only see how the conditions affect the present time, seeing through the filters of our own beliefs. Our perception of things is limited; we cannot see the whole picture. Empowering Change In You, Kay Nuyens

This is a lifetime of work but I believe it’s worth it. Thank you Kay for writing about it. And a big thanks to you Tess for creating such a stimulating post…xxoo

• Tess The Bold Life February 15, 2012, 1:36 pm

That my good friend Kay’s comment. Thanks for stopping by Fran.

• rob white February 15, 2012, 12:33 pm

Wonderful round up, Tess. Thank you for doing your due diligence and sharing these… A labor of love to be sure! I personally love the refreshment that LOVE provides. This attitude invigorates my spirit by reminding me that there is plenty of time and plenty of world available to make my life an ongoing adventure.

• Tess The Bold Life February 15, 2012, 1:37 pm

Rob,
      Thanks for your profound remark. Isn’t life grand?

• Christopher Foster February 15, 2012, 1:02 pm

Hi Tess

What a wonderful collection of thoughts on love. I’ve always loved this one from Kahlail Gibran (may or may not be entirely accurate but the gist is there):

“He who bakes without love bakes a bitter bread that feeds but half man’s hunger.”

We’re ‘baking bread’ metaphorically speaking every moment, aren’t we Tess, being true to the truth of love or not. Very happy to share this adventure of life with you. Sorry I missed the meeting Monday, it was a wild day.

• Tess The Bold Life February 15, 2012, 1:38 pm

Christopher,
    Yes we are and I “love” bread;)

• KenWert@MeantToBeHappy February 15, 2012, 1:45 pm

What a great post, Tess! And yes, such great writers. To know the importance and power of live, just imagine a world without it. That’s sadly easy to do because we know individuals who grew up with out it and the emotional damage it does.

Keep the love alive, Tess! Thanks for the wonderful post on so important (and timely) a subject!

• Jt Clough | Big Island Dog February 17, 2012, 12:09 pm

I love fitness so the Thousands of Cuts by Leo speaks to me in a different way…. when it comes to clutter. Not so much clutter in acquiring more things but in putting things down and not putting them away. My desk in particular. But I do it with clothes, paddling gear, herbal remedies, and writing pieces. There’s probably more.

I’m learning to go at it just like the idea behind getting fit. In those moments where I feel confused and don’t know what to do next…. pick something up and put it away!

Mahalo wags for inspiration again!

• Rose Byrd February 17, 2012, 1:26 pm

Tess, winsomebella’s quote gives me so much encouragement and affirmation to keep on writing. Now, if I can only work on the part where the soulmate holds up a mirror to all that holds me back without getting hurt and depressed, I will not have that negative dragging at me! Being too easily depressed by how others say they see me has been a bug-a-boo for me all my life. I retreat into painting and music and writing and nature and animal care!

• CJ February 18, 2012, 2:37 pm

Thanks Tess these were great. We just watched Eat Pray Love again twice in the last 2 weeks and Dan is Re-reading it now.
    Thanks for sharing all of these and your LOVE
    XOXOXO