Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ~ Howard Thurman
I went straight to court after stepping off the plane and officially adopted Chris Guillebeau, all speakers, workshop leaders, attendees, volunteers, and ushers, as my new family, my tribe. It's official!
There is so much to say about the weekend and so much more that I have no words for that I decided to share a bit about the first speaker and about Chris Guilleabeau's parting words, and how it has changed my life.
Brené Brown, our first keynote speaker, had me at "hello."
My CAD or as Brené Brown calls it, "Conference Anxiety Disorder" has been healed! Brené suggested that we adopt the affirmation, "No one belongs here more than me."
And I did, all weekend long. When I felt insecure. When I felt unworthy. When I thought, "I'm too old." When I was tempted to compare myself to others. I used that line and followed Brene's instructions to "operate from the place that I'm worthy and loving and I deserve to be seen."
How about we teach that to the children of the world? How about solving the bullying issues with that? How about we use those words to push through our fears? How about we adopt that belief to gain the courage and confidence to create a new world by living our dreams?
Can I get a "hell yeah?"
Me to self: "I'm going to love you in a way that takes my breath away!" Thank you, Brené Brown, for taking me to a new level of self-love. This idea was only one gem of her power packed presentation.
Attending WDS was life changing for me.
- I feel like my body, heart, mind, and soul have been super-sized and super-charged. And I'm glowing. No, no, wait, forget glowing. I'm radiant. I'm shining with joy, hope, and delight.
- I feel like there is nothing better than face-to-face and flesh-to-flesh connection and the love I feel when I'm with people who "get" me, the very first moment they "see" me.
- I was taken to a deeper level within myself, a place I've never been before. I was transformed by the positive, uplifting energy, service, and generosity of everyone around me.
- I witnessed the "oneness" that we are and the "oneness" that we share. I'm done with the words we use to separate ourselves…Baby Boomer, Gen X, Gen Y, Millennial. We all want the same thing and we're all creating the same thing … a more loving world for everyone.
- I heard stories and stories and stories and they became my stories. Our stories.
- We really only need to remember that we are "love" and we can change things when we act with "love."
- I came away with a head filled with bigger dreams of service and a heart exploding with deeper compassion.
- I made a commitment to take action, more action than I've ever taken before.
- Unheard of and uncommon action.
The final 10 minutes
Chris Guillebeau was born under a special star. He is sharing his light with everyone. Chris doesn't allow selling or sponsorship of any kind at WDS. His intention is to keep it "pure."
During the last 10 minutes of the summit, Chris came on stage and shared with everyone that an anonymous 2011 WDSer donated $100,000 dollars to his cause.
Then he told us that he was going to invest $100 in each of the 1000 attendees. We would each receive a $100 bill in an envelope as we left the theater.
The message in the envelope read:
Thanks for making #WDS2012 a fantastic experience. We’d love to see how you can put these funds to good use. Start a project, surprise someone, or do something entirely different – it’s up to you.
I have no idea what I'll do with the money. I happily accept the responsibility.
Today I continue to feel gratitude and bliss in every cell of my body.
I've changed the words to Kermit Frog's, The Rainbow Connection. Hum along and enjoy!
THE WDS LOVE CONNECTION
Why are there so many
Songs about love
And what's on the other side
Dreams are visions
Love is not an illusion
And love has nothing to hide
So we've been told
And some choose to believe it
You'll know by our service wait and see
Who said that every wish
Would be heard and answered
When joined together as one
Somebody thought of that
And someone believed it
And look what it's done so far
What's so amazing
That keeps us love gazing
What so we think we might see
Have you been half asleep
And have you heard voices
I've heard them calling my name
Are these the sweet sounds that called
The young sailors
I think they're one and the same
I've heard it too many times to ignore it
There's something that I'm supposed to be
Won't you join us?
Check out the Green Juicing Clinic Special that my friend Farnoosh Brock is offering, today until July 13th. It's a great time to get healthy!